Saturday, July 12, 2008

Noise pollution – this is not funny!

I was sitting here and preparing lessons for my Second Life class tonight when some neighbours started playing extremely loud music. I had the feeling I was sitting right next to the loud speakers. I don't like much of the popular music anyway. So, being forced to listen to it made me very angry and as it didn't stop, I decided to find out who was causing me this "pain".

It was the neighbours two houses further down the street. I asked politely if they could turn down the volume a bit as I couldn't concentrate on my work. Their reply was "But we are having an engagement party tonight on the street and we are only testing the sound." Oh, my God, they are going to do this for hours tonight?! And I have an online lesson in Second Life!

I asked my sister whether this was normal and she said "Unfortunately yes." They are allowed to party on the street and make such noise until 0.00 :(( How can people start out their lives together by annoying their neighbours?? Or is it only me who is annoyed?

There were such parties in the past, I remember, but then it didn't seem as noisy as now with such powerful amplifiers. Or maybe I have changed. Most such engagement or wedding parties take place now in düğün salonu, special halls for such purposes. Even then, the music is so loud that you can hear it in the neighbourhood. And the worst thing of all is that people take their little kids to these events. These little kids have to endure this torture to their ears for hour sometimes. Somebody should make people aware of the risks. Would it stop then?

I'm sorry, I really am a tolerant person but this is an issue that makes me very angry. It's hot outside but I will have to go upstairs (where it is warmer) into my small office and close all windows and doors to at least reduce the noise a bit so that my students will be able to hear me. I am not looking forward to this.

No comments: