Sunday, April 6, 2008

Conquest of Bursa - Mehter, oldest military band in the world

I learned that today, 6 April, is the anniversary of Bursa's conquest. It was conquered in 1324 CE by Orhan, son of Osman, the founder of the Ottoman Empire after whom the Empire was named. Bursa was the first capital city of the Ottoman Empire. That's why Osman, Orhan and many more of the Sultans and their families have their tombs in Bursa. There are many historic building in the city, too.

Unfortunately, I missed the celebration and the parade. But one of the groups participating was the Ottoman style military band, which is very popular. It is said that it's the world's oldestor first military band - not these guys, of course :-). Here is a link to their website with many downloadable marches, a photo gallery and you can also watch some videos. I have embedded one here.
http://bursamehter.com/

2 comments:

Nadia said...

hey, that looks and sounds really funny! :) Have you realized that they all hve a moustache? If that may be the precondition to come in that band? Or maybe they just want to appear older with the moustache'cause it is the oldest military band? :))) however it made me smile watching that video! :)

Nergiz Kern said...

Hi Nadia

Ha ha. I think the moustaches are Ottoman/Turkish style. I think though that some of them are fake :-) It's part of their costume. Next time I see them somewhere, I'll ask.