Sunday, April 6, 2008

Jewish and Christian Sites in Bursa

Because there is often the misconception that non-Muslims cannot build their churches and synagogues in Turkey, I wanted to share some information with you. There have always been churches and synagogues in Turkey the number has significant
Fransız Kilisesi Kültür Evi...
ly decreased. In Bursa, all churches had been closed down because there were no (significant) numbers of worshipers anymore. One church has been renovated and re-opened to the public for worship in 1996. It's the French Protestant church. It had opened in 1881 for the first time and was used by Italians in the 70th, who had come to Bursa to work at Fiat/Tofaş.

Most Jews left for Israel I believe. But at least one synagogue has always remained open. I was once standing in front of its door but didn't dare open it :-) The only time I was in a synagogue was in Instabul. I'm more comfortable with churches because I lived in Germany and know how to behave in one. One of the synagogues was established when the Ottomans conquered Bursa in 1326, another one was build for the Jews who came from Spain at the end of the 14th century. Here is some information about Jews in Bursa: 
http://www.allaboutturkey.com/jews.htm.
Now, that more and more people from Europe and other places move permanently to Turkey, new churches are being build. 

5 comments:

eyton shalom said...

Nergiz, please feel comfortable in a synagogue. Do you know Jews are allowed to pray in a Masjid if there is no synagogue. But not in a church, (since Christianity is not seen as monotheism).

You don't have to do anything special. If it is "orthodox" or traditional, as a woman you will sit with other woman and cover your head. If it is "reform" then the seating is mixed, the book you read will be in the local language, and a woman need not cover her head.

I am Jewish, but if i go to an orthodox synagogue, i can not read the hebrew text quickly, so i just sit with my eyes closed and follow along, standing when they stand, sitting when they sit.

And i love to go to the masjid!

Salaam!

eytan shalom
usa

Nergiz Kern said...

Shalom Eyton

Thank you very much for your comment and explaining what I did not know about Jews and synagogues! Next time when I pass in front of the synagogue, I will try to see if I can enter.

All the best

Unknown said...

Ma'am I am a mechanical engineer from India, I would love to know some protestant churches in Bursa, as I am planning to work in Bursa.


P.R.Immanuel,
Coimbatore, India.

Nergiz Kern said...

Dear Rolo!

How nice! I'm sure you will like Bursa.

As far as I know, there is only this one Protestant Church you can see on the picture in my blog post.
This is there web address: http://www.bursakilisesi.com/
There is a map on the front page that shows where it is located. You can also write to them here: http://www.bursakilisesi.com/eposta/

I hope this helps.

All the best

Nergiz

Unknown said...

Ma'am I found your links very informative.
Thanks a lot.

Rolo