Saturday, May 10, 2008

City Walk - Pınarbaşı


Today, my mom and I went for a city walk. We plan to go for such walks more or less regularly to explore the city's old and new face. There is so much to see and discover that it amazes me.

Pınarbaşı is one of the places I've always been curious about because my mom told me that when she was a child they would go there on religious or national holidays. There would be vendors along the street and in the park selling all kinds of toys and tasty food. Children would wear their news clothes and families would walk to their to meet others and have fun.

When my mom tells me about those times, I always get the feeling that they had more fun and everybody was much happier than today. Today, families often use the opportunity to escape on a short trip during such holidays. Or people just pay quick visits to their relatives and go back to their daily routines. Somehow the spirit seems to have gotten lost.

But back to Pınarbaşı. This place, which has always been a place for people to come together during festive occasions, has a significance beyond that. Pınar means spring. This is one the larger  springs that provides Bursa with water. The actual spring is under this dome structure and next to it is the reservoir. Next to it is also a beautiful park with fountains, ponds and water faucets to drink from. I've fallen in love with this place and thought I would immediately buy a house and move here if I could. There are some traditional houses around and there is another extremely significant historic place just at the other end of the park: the Fetih Kapısı. More about that in my next post.

Here are some impressions of the place:

GIF animations generator gifup.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i was in that place....such a wonderful city....clean and green....with all the memorable places during the ottoman empire..

Nergiz Kern said...

Glad you liked Bursa, Gina.

It is a nice place to live in.