Wednesday, May 7, 2008

IKEA is coming to Bursa!

Anatolium is the name of the new shopping mall and entertainment complex that is being built in Bursa at the moment. It's going to be the largest one in Bursa and some of the buildings will be build in typical Bursa style. One of the main businesses in the centre will be IKEA, the fourth one in Turkey. And the location is near to our home next to the coach terminal! IKEA will also be the first shop there to open it's doors to the public in fall 2008.

Some people hate IKEA and others love it. I tend more towards the second group. In Germany, I had furnished my flat partly with IKEA furniture. The main reason I like IKEA is that the systems are flexible and you can still have your own style and be creative. Of course I do not like everything they offer but that's true for other shops as well. I also like to just go to IKEA and "shop" for ideas and buy small accessories. 

I remember that once a friend of mine and I spend five hours there and only after the  announced that they are going to close, we left — we had to :-) It's great on a rainy Saturday afternoon. When you are tired, you can go to the cafeteria and have a snack, lunch or coffee and cake for reasonable prices. If there is one thing that I don't like, it's waiting in those long lines. I don't know why, but although they have a long row of cash desks, you always have to wait (I'm talking about IKEA in Freiburg, Germany. Don't know how it is elsewhere). 

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. It was part of my life in Germany, and it's good to have something familiar back in my life here.

Here is a link with news about the Anatolium and IKEA.
And here is the link to IKEA Turkey.

7 comments:

Maru del Campo said...

Hi Dear!You are lucky, I wish IKEA came to Mexico, let alone Toluca.
I would travel to IKEA gladly, I fell in love with their items, mainly the house holders.
Besos

Nergiz Kern said...

Hi Maru

Did you go to IKEA when you were in the UK?
And there is really no IKEA in Mexico?
What amazes me sometimes more than their products is how IKEA managed to become so popular. It is their marketing strategy that is most fascinating.

Nadia said...

salam dear....
Congratulation with your new IKEA. :) I still love to go to IKEA, but not so often anymore and never 5 hours!! ;) I remember these 5 hours VERY good. It was so funny that day, we just changed things in several rooms to see if things match (and put them back again of course!).. haha :)).. I think I was looking for my new sleeping room. :)) It was a very funny time we spent there... AND one more destination where to go when I come to visit you! ;).
And you know what? The lines are long no matter where. Its the same in Copenhagen, even its a BIG IKEA.
take care.. Love

Unknown said...

Merhaba Nergiz!

I also live in Bursa. Before, I was living in Koblenz/Germany. It's really great, that we'll have an IKEA here in our beautiful town.
My time-schedule for the weekend had a visit at IKEA - almost every weekend.
Vielleicht laeuft man sich ja irgendwie über den Weg!? Wünsch' Dir viel Spass beim traditionellen IKEA-Rundgang.
Ich warte schon seit Monaten auf die Eröffnung, da ich meine Wohnung erst dann einrichten will - ein wenig verrückt, oder?

Liebe Grüsse
Osman

Nergiz Kern said...

Selam Osman

It's good to hear from someone with a similar background. Every weekend? You really seem to be a huge fan of IKEA :)

Also, ich mag IKEA Möbel zwar (nicht alles), aber habe mich hier schon eingerichet. Darauf monatelang zu warten ist schon ein bisschen verrückt. Aber warum soll man manchmal nicht ein bisschen verrückt sein? :)

Bist du auch erst seit kurzem wieder nach Bursa zurück? Hast du dich gut eingelebt?

Liebe Grüße
Nergiz

lisibo said...

Life without IKEA - ahhhhh! Not worth living ;o)
Lisaxx

Nergiz Kern said...

Hi Lisa

Isn't it amazing that we can get excited so much about a "furniture shop"? :)

For the other readers, Lisa is also a language teacher and for her, IKEA seems to be more a shop for educational tool rather: http://snurl.com/4uetb [lisibo_blogspot_com]

Nergiz