Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Queen Elisabeth II in Bursa

Last year I visited London and saw the Buckingham Palace but the Queen was unfortunately not at home. Today, the Queen visited my city together with her husband, Prince Phillip. Bursa has been preparing for this for days. One visible sign of this were the many hortensias, the Queen's favourite flower as I learned, that were planted at prominent places.
The Queen wanted to visit Bursa, because it was the first capital of the Ottoman Empire. She is also interested in Silk, and Bursa is famous for it's silk production and silk products. This is why she had lunch and went shopping in the Koza Han, the historic Silk Bazaar of Bursa. Finally, she wanted to see the Yesil Cami and Yesil Türbe, the Green Mosque and Green Tomb of Sultan Çelebi Mehmet, because of their famous Iznik (Nicea) tiles. The mosque was built in  between 1413 - 1420. All of these places deserve a blog post of their own but here are some pictures I've managed to take. I'm sorry for the quality but it started raining in the afternoon and I could not get closer.



The picture above shows the Koza Han court where the Queen had lunch. I took this picture last week actually when there was another important event in Bursa. But it looked pretty much the same today.

In the Yesil Cami, the Queen listened to a recitation of the Ar-Rahman chapter in the Qur'an and to it's translation. You can listen to it here:

Those of you who are interested in more pictures and listening to some more information about the historic sides that Queen Elisabeth visited today, listen to the Voicethread that I've prepared (you can leave a comment after registering):

If you can't see the voicethread box above or want to see it larger, click here.

2 comments:

Maru del Campo said...

Wow! Nergiz!
You have been working hard on your blog and I have not set up my reader to notice when you add posts.
It is nice to hear your voice on the voicethread!
I sent my email first and then visited your blog, shame on me!
I did not know which Queen you were talking about, he, he, he.
I always enjoy your blog, thanks for sharing!
Besos and big hugs from Mexico

Nergiz Kern said...

Thanks for your kind words, Maru!

Did I forgot to mention that it's the Queen "of England"? Turkey had a monarchy until 1922 after which it was abolished.